17 October 2016

Breaking Free

I break free from the chains that've given way,
Brushing the dust away,
Inhaling the first of many fresh breaths,
Discovering a calm in my depths,
A peace I'd always had but'd chosen to bury,
To let myself think and worry,

No heartbreak was ever inflicted,
As I see now, why I was so affected,
It was never you that'd bound my soul,
Nor my love for you, my girl,
I made the choice to bind my spirit,
Giving up joy and delight,

I gave you my heart, while calling you mine,
In it I sealed your form, forging the chains,
That hitherto bound my spirit,
I built my cell, trapped myself,
And chose to stay imprisoned,
I inked my core and made a stain,
Choosing to hold the pain,
And unlike Him, the Lord's Son,
I bore a cross for no reason,

Until today when I looked within,
When truth slapped my chin,
I shook off the gloom, killing misery,
With no fight or archery,

And now with newly found freedom -
A treasure I'd always owned,
I walk with head held high,
I twitch my feet, clench my fists,
And I take off towards the stars.

Written between 8:58pm and 9:36pm on 17.10.2016 at C504, IIT Bombay

2 comments: