5 May 2017

Within Me

When I can no longer see,
Or recognise friend or foe,
When I cannot distinguish the voice,
Of a loved one, a one who's close,
When I cannot sit up and talk,
Or get up and walk,
I will still remember your song,
Not when sung out loud,
But playing within my soul,
Heard only by me, by none else,
For then though my muscles shall be weary,
I shall smile within despite being dreary,
Remembering perhaps not your face,
Nay, even your name or voice,
But that joy that'd always spring,
When I'd hear you sing,
I may not say this then, perhaps ever,
But know this for now and forever,
That no matter how deep I dig,
Within the depths of what I call my soul,
You lie there, always at a moment's call,

I see you in my darkest corners,
Hear you in my quietest moments,
Feel you in the most disconnected of times,
And talk to you when I'm mute beyond words,

Something beats for you within me,
Alongside the heart that pounds daily,
Something of you breathes within my chest,
Alongside the breath that goes in and out.

Written at 3:37pm on the plane on 25.4.2017. Some edits made a few days later. Some edits made by 1:51am on 5.5.2017 (at room) and some more by 2:06am.
On some level this seems to have been inspired by 'Tumi Robe Nirobe' written by Rabindranath Tagore.

2 comments:

  1. Barathy Shankar7 May 2017 at 03:24

    You write so beautifully Raam (It gives shape and form to so many people's thoughts and feelings).

    ReplyDelete